How I am Learning to Cope and Overcome Mental Obstacles and How YOU Can Too



Today I am really struggling to get my head around the fact it is August. I know at some point every year we often exclaim how quickly the year has gone but I am going to say it one more time because for real 2017 has flown by. When thinking about my summer break which started in June, I noticed how happy and care-free I have been as nothing is mentally draining me in comparison to the months prior to June and my university studies. It is no secret how badly I deal with stress and anxiety and how they are particularly triggered by university and are heavily driven by education. I thoroughly enjoy the social aspect of university but stress is something I have struggled with since AS Level. I know millions of people go to university and take A Levels, but I think it’s really important to point out that individually some people deal with certain situations better than others and education and academics are just two things I don’t deal very well with.

Now as ClichĂ© it may sound to some people, this summer I have decided to make a conscious effort to take care of myself and to ensure that when the University term starts in 42 days (CRY), I feel more confident in myself and can overcome the mental obstacles that have previously caused me to falter. I have found some outlets and other coping mechanisms to be really helpful and thought maybe other people could benefit from them too. Mental health and wellness manifest differently in everyone and there isn’t really a one size fits all technique so you might find all of what I suggest helpful, one point helpful, or none at all. That is absolutely fine, but I hope that after reading this post and even after trying some points out and maybe discovering that none of this works for you, you are inspired to find out what does and you are able to overcome academic mental struggles like myself or whatever it is that triggers your anxiety and stress.

1)  Getting a good amount of sleep – For most people, this is probably a no brainer, but when I have had a good shut-eye shut-eye I feel alert and ready to take on the day. As a creative and as someone who’s degree requires them to often put forward arguments in essays or come up with performance ideas, sleep really gets my creative juices flowing especially after mental block. The dreams I’ve had have sometimes ended up in my work too so it’s really been a win win! When I have slept for 7.5 – 8 hours I feel awake and can properly concentrate in lectures and can immerse myself entirely into my work. My attention span is so much better and I can really take things in comparison to the times that I have been short tempered and slumped due to a lack of sleep. I genuinely feel less stressed when I get a good night’s sleep as I find that my mood and the amount of sleep I get is closely connected and so is my well-being. Obviously, if you have a deadline that is due in 24 hours and you haven’t started it you are probably going to have to sacrifice sleep to get it done in time but this academic year I will aim to not deprive myself of sleep as I am sure my less than 6 hours a night was a contributing factor towards my stress and anxiety. Scientific studies also show that a lack of sleep is detrimental to mental and physical health. 

2) 3 positives – I have found that suffocating myself with positivity by writing down 3 positives that have happened to me throughout my day to be helpful in ensuring my happiness and a good mental state. These positives can be anything from ‘I got out of bed’ to ‘I ran 10 miles’ and can be as simple or elaborate as you want them to be. As long as you’re not focusing on the sucky things that have happened any 3 positives you write down on paper means that you are choosing to have a positive and grateful attitude. For me, I have found that this attitude is transferable when it comes to completing tasks and I hope I can take this positivity with me when it comes to my studies resuming in October. If you want to take it further you can even write down one improvement or one thing that could have gone better and can work towards making that one of tomorrow’s positives.

3) Believing in yourself –  Believe in your abilities and that you are more than your mental illness. Ignore its negative and ugly voices. Your mind might tell you that you are worthless, ugly and that you won’t amount to much. You should ignore it and know that you are more than this voice. You are the love you share and you are the kindness you spread. Admittedly, your mental health can take up a huge chunk of your life and it can be time-consuming, but when you know that you are more than your anxieties and stresses and there’s a life outside of them you yearn to have, that’s already one step towards alleviating them. Comments made about my intellect in real life has resulted in my mind telling me that I am intellectually incapable of completing tasks, but one way I have learned to deal with this is to still try my hardest as I have nothing to lose. Once you have started to build up self-belief, acknowledge how far you have come mentally as it will act as an inspiration to propel you even further towards a total and authentic level of self-belief and will help to alleviate anxieties. 

4)  Reducing alcohol and drug consumption –  I often find alcohol can either result in a super fun time for me or a cocktail for disaster leading to a shit storm of paranoia, anxiety, and feelings of depression. I feel like everyone after a night out has felt sad the next day at least once in their lives. So, for those of us who are already depressed or anxious, the addition of alcohol’s depressant qualities and side effects isn’t really ideal. If I am having a bad day prior to a night out I choose to abstain from alcohol as if I am already feeling unstable I don’t really think alcohol will make the situation any better. Don't feel like everyone's judging you and you are an alien because you choose to abstain from drinking occasionally. If it is beneficial to your mental state then you shouldn't care what others think. They're probably not focussing on that anyway and are too busy focussing on what Love Island couples have survived in the real world since leaving the villa. Jamilla all the way. 

5)  Educating yourself by reading MINDFULNESS GUIDES – I think reading mindfulness guides or ‘self-help’ books has been the most helpful factor in preparing me to overcome some of my mental obstacles. I have found that these books have brought reassurance and have added peace and calmness to my life in the midst of mental chaos. I have found that understanding the common causes and symptoms of stress and anxiety to be helpful as I can recognise when to take a breather and what effectively helps me/what doesn't. I recognise how damaging I can unintentionally be towards my own physical and mental well-being and what I can do to move forward from this. Mindfulness books inspire me because I can pick them up and put them down at my own discretion, but I have always been the sort of person who has found comfort and motivation from books and positive words. My university room was filled with letters I had written myself to get through the day and biblical references alongside motivational words. Now I know that some people are quite cynical about these books and they won’t work for everyone which is fine, but 3 books that I recommend if you often find yourself frazzled are:

– A Mindfulness Guide for the Frazzled written by Ruby Wax
– Making Friends with Anxiety written by Sarah Rayner
– CALM written by Michael Acton Smith

An alternative to this is support groups. There are several on Facebook including Making Friends With Anxiety and Depression and stress support groups where you can meet others who feel the same and talk to people who are willing to help. The NHS runs clinical commission groups which focus on different illnesses but also poor mental health. By typing in your postcode you can find groups near you. Below is a link for those in the Leicestershire area and the MIND location finder for support near you. There are 6 wellbeing centres in the LU area and many more within London.



6) Taking it Day by Day – Rome wasn’t built-in a day, keep going even if you feel incapable. Feed your mind and tell yourself every day that you’re going to make it through the day even when everything/everyone is giving you every reason not to. Often I have found my mindset to not be in favour of me succeeding and what is currently pushing me to overcome mental obstacles is the achievement of proving that negative voice wrong.

Everyone deserves to live a happy and fulfilling life and these are just tips of mine on how to.  I am no doctor or medical professional so if these feelings persist don’t be afraid to seek help from a counselling service, your GP and charities such as SANE, The Samaritans or MIND. The Samaritans are open 365 days a year 24/7. Links below xxxx



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Positive News

1 in 4

Baptism